June 2018 Newsletter
BIC 1 and 2
Separate adult instructions classes (Bible Information Class, BIC for short) are being conducted on Tuesday afternoons 2:00-3:00 PM (BIC 1), and dates/times to be determined (BIC 2) throughout most of the summer in the Overflow Room. The setting is casual, and all materials are provided. Completion of a BIC is a major step for the unchurched to know their Savior, and pursue church membership.
On May 20, we viewed an informational video from our Fox Valley Lutheran (FVL) High School on the remodeling/expansion program entitled Let the Children Come. Construction is well on its way, and the plan is to have everything ready for the beginning of the 2018-19 school year, when enrollment is projected to be over 660 students! Supporters can donate online, or through church offerings.
A special newsletter with giving requests for special projects at FVL is posted on the Entryway bulletin board.
A mortgage burning service (anticipating the full payoff of the present Growing in Grace building debt, still a little under $200,000) is planned for June 10 at 2 PM.
District Convention June 11-12
Pastor Schleis plans to attend our Northern WI District convention, scheduled to be held June 11-12 at Manitowoc Lutheran High School. A male delegate (18 years old and older) is also requested from First. At a District convention, materials from our District’s boards and committees, and information from our Synod’s Report to the Twelve Districts are discussed. Election of District offices (including circuit pastor, which Pastor Schleis has been) also takes place, besides Bible study and fellowship.
Financial Report for April 2018
Receipts: $ 14,664.48
Disbursements: $ 10,202.00
Checkbook balance (Apr.30) $ 6,010.82*
*Includes $1760 EAF, $299 of Carillon interest,
Educational Assistance Fund (EAF)
WELS CD $ 4,177.77+
+ $1760 due from the General Fund
Short Term Asset (undesignated) $ 24,500.61
Estates Fund (undesignated) $ 412,252.76
(CD) $ 162,000.00
Endowment (restricted) $ 84,598.67
Notes from the May 16 Council meeting:
- Pastor Schleis’ opening devotion, based on Luke 23:39-43, addressed the question “Do last-minutes confessions get people into Heaven?”
- The minutes from the April 2018 Council meeting, and the financial reports for April 2018 were accepted as presented. A grant check from our Education Assistance Fund, to be matched by the school, will be sent to Martin Luther College on behalf of our member Matthew Spoerl.
- Pastor Schleis’ report was accepted as presented. Pastor Schleis discussed the recent Synod statistical report figures of our Green Bay circuit churches and schools. Due to moves, Hollyce Peck’s membership was transferred to St. Paul (WELS) Howards Grove, and Dr. Greg Schleis to St. Marcus (WELS) Milwaukee. We number about 136 souls, 120 communicants.
- The Shepherding report was accepted as presented. There is a proposal to combine our Good Friday services into a 4:30 PM Tenebrae service. Since First will not be having a voters meeting before FVL’s Aug. 31 deadline, First’s Council pledged at least a $20,000 commitment to FVL’s Let the Children Comeremodeling/expansion program, to be paid out over a 20 year period.
- Under discussion of Spiritual Life items, it was mentioned that LWMS tour buses will be here late morning June 21, for a tour of our carillon, hearing some selections played, and box lunches (provided by the tour). A full carillon concert is being planned for July 11.
- The Properties report was accepted as presented. Coverall cleaning co. will come to do interior church cleaning on May 19-20, at a cost of about $1000. Landscape Artisans has given some suggestions about landscaping work at the church and parsonage, and we await specifics and cost proposals. We’ll check further about church basement water issues after any landscaping on the Lawe St. side of church is done.
Pastor Schleis emails out the weekly bulletins to anyone who wasn’t in church that weekend. The weekly bulletins, and monthly newsletters and calendars are also posted on our church’s web site: www.firstlutherangb.org.
Pastor Schleis also records our Sunday services, and can convert that recording to either a portable MP3 file, or a physical CD to be played at home or in your vehicle. Please contact Pastor Schleis, if you’d ever like a copy.
“Like” us on Facebook
First Lutheran’s Facebook page is www.facebook.com/firstlutherangb. We’re told that if we "like" the posts on the Facebook page and especially if we share, it really increases the post reach.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our members in June
June 2 - Irving Hansen
- Harriet Rolkosky (88)
June 8 - Elise Gierczak
June 12 - Beatrice Jastrow (86)
June 14 - Ruth Schumal
June 15 - Peter Ruprecht
June 19 - Lori Rose
June 20 - June Francois
June 21 - Lakota Sobiesccyk
June 24 - Julie Walter
June 28 - Pastor Paul Schleis
HAPPY JUNE anniversaries
June 12- Pheng & Lindsay Moua (8)
June 14 - Lloyd & Beatrice Jastrow (66)
Peter & Linda Ruprecht (21)
June 15 - James & Judith Keyzer (34)
June 21 - Roger & Lynn Francois (14)
June 22 - Keith & Valli Sickler (33)