July 2018 Newsletter
BIC 1 and 2
Separate adult instructions classes (Bible Information Class, BIC for short) are being conducted on Tuesday afternoons 2:00-3:00 PM (BIC 1), and dates/times to be determined (BIC 2) throughout most of the summer in the Overflow Room. The setting is casual, and all materials are provided. Completion of a BIC is a major step for the unchurched to know their Savior, and pursue church membership.
Financial Report for May 2018
Receipts: $ 11,681.89
Disbursements: $ 12,714.00
Checkbook balance (May 31) $ 5,421.48*
*Includes $760 EAF, $384 of Carillon interest
Educational Assistance Fund (EAF)
WELS CD $ 4,177.77+
+ $760 due from the General Fund
Short Term Asset (undesignated) $ 19,485.61
Estates Fund (undesignated) $ 412,252.76
(CD) $ 162,000.00
Endowment (restricted) $ 84,598.67
Public Carillon Concert Wed. July 11, 2018
Carillon Tours 5:30 / Recital 6:00
First Ev. Lutheran Church WELS Green Bay
Mark Konewko, PhD, is currently the Marquette University Carillonneur, Director of the University Chorus and Chamber Choir and Professor of Practice in the Department of Digital Media and Performing Arts. He has directed choirs and performed nationally and internationally on organ and carillon in Germany, The Netherlands, France, and Italy. His studies on the carillon include work with Todd Fair, Jacque Maassen, and Bernard Winsemius at the University of Utrecht: Amersfoort, The Netherlands. Awards and honors include the Gold Medal of Recognition, Grande Maestro from Badia Tedalda, Italy, a scholarship to the Netherlands Carillon School, and a Certificate of Excellence in Carillon Performances from the University of Utrecht; Amersfoort, The Netherlands. He enjoys the orthodox and the innovative in music specializing in early Italian music, the American folk music tradition, and contemporary performance art.
A “thank you”
Thank you to the congregation at First Lutheran for supporting me in my goal to be a teacher in the WELS ministry. Your encouraging words, prayers, and financial gifts are much appreciated by myself and my family. I am currently going to into my Junior year at Martin Luther College and your thoughts and prayers are appreciated by myself and by my classmates. God’s blessings and thank you again! Matthew Spoerl
Notes from the June 20 Council mtg.:
- Pastor Schleis’ opening devotion, based on Philippians 4:8-9, addressed the false accusation “The Christian faith is too negative.”
- Minutes from the May Council meeting, as well as the financial reports for May, were accepted as presented. The Council determined to move First’s Estates Fund from the WELS Balanced Fund investment into the new WELS Endowment Fund (75% equity/25% fixed income) for better long-term growth.
- Pastor Schleis’ report was accepted as presented. The following membership requests were approved: Transfer Out Joyce Teuteberg to Peace (WELS) Sun Prairie, Release (own request) Keith and Valli Sickler.
- Oral Shepherding and Spiritual Life reports were accepted as presented.
- An oral Properties report was accepted as presented. The bill for professional church cleaning by Coverall ($1015) and a church landscaping quote of $3540 will be paid from the Short Term Asset acct. A final payment of $5000, for completed organ work, will be made.
Thursday evening services in July
Our Thursday evening services in July, on the 2nd and 3rd Thursdays of the month are planned for July 12 (communion) and 19, held in the church’s Overflow Room. That room does have a window air conditioner unit, which keeps the room comfortable even in hot outside weather.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY in JULY
July 3 - Sandra Rose
July 4 - Kris Feldman
- Elizabeth Mittag
July 6 - Randall Peterman
July 8 - Ashley Lohrengel
July 10 - Derek Vanderheyden
July 13 - Ayden Armbruster
July 14 - Jodi Lund
- Joni Nuthals
July 15 - Mike Gierczak
July 16 - Addison Melotte
July 17 - Benjamin Porod
July 18 - Lois Clayton
July 21 - Joyce Farah
July 23 - Wilma Watts
July 24 - Dorothy White
July 25 - Allen Sigmund
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY in JULY
July 7 - Lee & Dorothy Treptow (33)
July 18 - Brian & Kristine Feldman (9)
July 19 - Marvin & Sandra Rose (37)
July 20 - Donald & Roberta Koehler (61)