August 17/20, 2017 Pentecost 11
The Christian trusts God to provide.
Liturgy: Service of Word and Sacrament (p.26)
Hymns: 339 349 312 465v.4
Psalm 42-43 (p. 82)
Lesson: Isaiah 55:1-5 The Messiah is commissioned to call the nations into the mercies promised to David. The invitation is one of pure grace.
Epistle: Romans 8:35-39 Nothing in all creation can "separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Gospel: Matthew 14:13-21 Our Lord seems almost oblivious to the looming problem of feeding a large crowd in such a remote place. He instructs his disciples to give the people food. After the disciples assess their meager resources, the Lord of creation gives thanks and produces more than enough to satisfy the crowd.
Sermon Text: Romans 8:35-39
No Separation from God’s Love.
1. Not by troubles.
2. Not by powers.
In his Word God tells us that something very special happens in the Lord’s Supper. Here Christ comes to us in, with, and under the bread and wine. Because partaking of this meal is a statement of fellowship with one another, First Ev. Lutheran Church practices close Communion. We ask that only communicant members of congregations of our Synod (WELS) or the Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS) commune with us.
Gladys Pagel memorials
In memory of Gladys Pagel, memorials of $250 to First Lutheran, and $150 to First’s Women Mission Fellowship have been received. We’re grateful.
The new Meditations booklets, with daily Scripture devotions, prayers, and suggested Bible reading listings from August 27 through December 02, are now available on the Entryway table. A suggested donation of $5.00 will help cover costs, and provide a few extra copies Pastor Schleis uses in visits. Please help yourselves.
Notes from the August 15 Church Council meeting:
- Pastor Schleis’ opening devotion, based on Matthew 26:36-38, addressed the false statement “Religion is a crutch for the weak.”
- Councilmen from Pastor Schleis’ other church, Emanuel Ev. Lutheran in Henrysville (e. of Green Bay), had an open and cordial discussion with First’s Councilmen. All agreed that the dual parish situation since 2010, in which Pastor Schleis has been serving both churches, is desirable for the long term. The histories, membership statistics, and salary and benefits presently provided to Pastor Schleis were discussed. The Synod’s updated compensation guidelines for called workers were discussed, with a view of what would be needed to be provided if (due to a different call, retirement, etc.) Pastor Schleis were no longer serving.
- The minutes from the June 2017 Council meeting, as well as financial reports for June and July 2017 were accepted as presented. By God’s grace, we ended July with a $5700 positive balance in our general fund.
- Pastor Schleis’ report was accepted as presented. We received (welcome!) Joyce Teuteberg by transfer from Christ (WELS) Pewaukee. We number 139 souls, 125 communicants. Pastor Schleis reported on an August 30 open forum at FVL, and the resumption of Christ Light, catechism, and adult Bible classes in September.
- Oral Shepherding and Spiritual Life reports were accepted as presented. It was determined that First would pay ½ the cost, up to $750, of the WELS 35th ministry anniversary retreat Pastor and Mrs. Schleis have been invited to in April 2018.
- Under Properties items, a bid of $2725 to reseal the church parking lot was accepted. We’ve had problems with water leaking into the south area of the church basement. We’ll renew our Property insurance with Brotherhood Mutual, with significant savings after adjusting coverages.
Luther Movie Event — In celebration of the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation, St. Paul (WELS) Green Bay is hosting another showing of the new Martin Luther movie, A Return to Grace: Luther's Life and Legacy, next Wednesday, August 23, 6:30 PM at the Marcus Bay Park Cinema. This full-length film features thrilling reenactments of the sixteenth-century events with commentary from leading church-history experts. Tickets are $11 each and can be reserved online at www.tugg.com; search for our location by zip code. Or, you may check luthermovie.link/GreenBay
Thurs. Aug. 17 6:30 PM Worship Service w/Communion
Usher: Eric Spoerl
Sunday, Aug. 20 9:30 AM Worship Service w/ Communion
Ushers: Roger Francois (head), Randy Peterman, Lloyd Jastrow
Wed. Aug. 23 10:00 AM Pastors’ Winkel
Thurs./Fri. Aug. 24/25 Shut- In visits by Pastor
Sun. Aug. 27 9:30 AM Worship Service
Ushers: Greg Keiler (head), Allan Lemke, Derek Cole, Kevin Cole
Officiant: Pastor Paul Schleis
Organist: Denise Schleis/Sandy Swoboda
Sunday Offerings Rec’d Budgeted Variance YTD $13,359.38 $12,691.70 $667.68 8/13/17 $2,922.15 $1,813.10 $1,109.05
“The Lord has shown you, O man, what is good
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
And to walk humbly with your God.(Micah 6:8)
First Ev. Lutheran Church
(Wisconsin Ev. Lutheran Synod)
743 S. Monroe Ave. Green Bay, WI 54301
2nd & 3rd Thursdays 6:30 PM
Sunday Worship 9:30 AM
Sunday Bible Class 10:45 AM
Church Office: 435-7970
Pastor Paul Schleis: 621-0460 (cell phone)